Thursday, January 22, 2009

Hello my friend, we meet again...

Wow, it seems like forever since I last posted something. For those of you who actually bother to read my stuff, sorry for being out for so long and for those of you who have yet to read my stuff, here I am for the first time. So let's review the 2 weeks that have gone by since our last meeting shall we?

First of all, the Super Bowl. The Cardinals and my second favorite team, the Steelers. I don't want to focus on football too much in this post because I feel like I stretch on too much, but congrats to both teams and I hope my Steelers pull it out.

Second, the Inauguration of Barack Obama. I don't think it hit me how significant January 20, 2009 was until I woke up at 9 AM to watch Obama speak to an estimated 2 million in attendance in Washington D.C. This was truly an incredible day and I'm glad I woke up off of 3 and a half hours of sleep to watch it happen because there will NEVER be another "first time inauguration" like this again. His speech was incredible, particularly two lines: "we will extend our hand if you are willing to unclench your fist" and my personal favorite "we are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus and non-believers." If you missed it, you truly missed out on something that you could tell your children about and this was truly a priceless event.

Moving on, as some of you know, today was the day that San Jose State students go back to school. And if I may ask, doesn't every agree with me when I say that the first thing you do on the first day of class(classes) is immediately look around the room for the best looking girls in your class to try to figure out who you might be able to hit on later in the semester? I mean come on, even if you have a girlfriend, you still look! Anyway, I had two classes today, Media, Theory and Research (yawn) and Radio, Television and Film 100W and it was terrible today (no offense to the women in those classes, but according to my scale, it just doesn't work out). Hopefully I'll do better on Monday when I have two different classes that are not in my major and have potential (Anthropology 115 and Weight Training).

Drawing from the whole school thing, I did go home today somewhat satisfied with what was being sold to me at school - well almost everything. For one thing, instead of having a professor that I had last semester teach me Media, Theory and Research (she is punishingly sarcastic), it was a pleasant surprise to find out that the class was going to be taught by two different teachers, her (the sarcastic teacher) and a professor whom I've already had and would not mind taking again. So, there's "victory #1" for today!

Victory #2 came from my 100W class. I've heard during my whole time at SJSU that I would have to write a 10 page paper that would be due at the end of the semester that would have to be "near perfect." I also heard that if I took Laura Long for 100W (whom I signed up for), I would have to go through hell and brutal critiques to get by. Well...WRONG! On all accounts! First of all, I signed up for what's supposed to be Long's section of 100W, only to find out that it was now being taught by the professor who normally teaches Communication Studies 100W, Dr. Kathy Kahn. This woman presented herself as very kind-hearted, understanding and most importantly, someone who knows something about good writing and could actually help me become a better writer (not that Laura Long does not). Dr. Kahn also said that students don't have to be perfect or near it this semester, as showing up to class every day and turning in the assignments makes for a guaranteed C+ and an A will go to those who actually take the time to do and turn in quality work. Finally, there is NO 10 page paper due! Instead, it's four different 1,000 word essays, three of which will be a subject of my choosing and the fourth will be a screenplay (as some of you know, I love writing screenplays).

Okay, so the day wasn't so bad after all. After school ended, I saw a girl with whom I had a class with last spring and she was looking as beautiful as ever..."victory #3?" - I don't even know anymore. Anyway, went to my friend's house and had a great lunch, played Call of Duty 4 on the Xbox 360 and went home, took a nap and prepared for tomorrow for which I will be a substitute teacher's aide. Yeah, I know it's not ideal, but this is nothing but good news actually, but I can't really explain it now. Well, nice to be back on here writing again, 'til next time, take care of yourselves - and each other. Okay, I know that was Jerry Springer's signature catch-phrase, but I was just wanted to see if you would notice. For real now though, take care and have a great weekend!

P.S. Just for my friend Robert Smith, I will say right now that he picked the Arizona Cardinals to win the Super Bowl. And no he's not just saying it, he bet against my Steelers too. So when the Steelers win the Super Bowl, you can refer to this blog and laugh all day at him and make fun of him and make his life as a football fan even more hell than it already is (he's a St. Louis Rams fan and a Missouri Tigers fan for God's sake!)

No comments: