Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Realizations and the Past Week (1/6/09)

Hey everybody, sorry I haven't posted anything lately, but I've been really busy writing some rhymes and movies and I've been through some stuff this past week that I shouldn't have put myself through, but it's over now. Anyway, here are a few thoughts about college football, the NFL playoffs, a certain rapper by the name of "Big L" and a personal realization that is completely and utterly a real problem that I have and I have just recently learned to accept.

First, college football, in a wild stretch of three bowl games, namely the Rose, Sugar and Fiesta Bowl games. First, the Rose Bowl and if you know me, you know that I am extremely happy with the way the game turned out with USC dominating Penn State for practically the entire game. The Trojans only won by two touchdowns but the game was over at halftime. Pete Carroll said after the game that he didn't think that anybody in the country could beat them right now and unbiasedly, I absolutely agree with him. I don't think Texas, Oklahoma, Utah, or even Florida (whom I am extremely high on) can beat USC right now. The Trojans had one of the greatest defenses in college football history this year with a backfield that would make every starting running back in the country appreciate his starting role even more - couple that with one of the nation's best quarterbacks in Mark Sanchez. However, while I think they can't be beaten right now it doesn't matter, because they don't deserve a shot at the national title after losing to someone like Oregon State...then came the Sugar Bowl and what a surprise it was. I'm gonna try and keep this short and sweet: Utah deserves a share of the national title (finishes as the only undefeated team in the country, wins over 6 different bowl teams, and most importantly, beat the longest #1 ranked team of the season, Alabama). By the way, Alabama was the biggest fraud of the season. Thank god they didn't get to the national title game because they would have been smashed by whoever they would have played...then came the Fiesta Bowl. Best game of the bowl season PERIOD (so far with the national title game on the horizon). Terrelle Pryor is the real deal and I can't wait to see him play next season (although he needs to work on his pocket awareness, his awareness in general and his passing accuracy). Congratulations to the Texas Longhorns in proving my point for me; they didn't belong in the national title game. Ohio State is a solid team but they do not belong in the top 5 at the moment and the Longhorns struggled against them. Texas would not beat Oklahoma if they played again and Florida has a much stronger defense than Ohio State's and pose as a greater threat offensively than the Buckeyes. The BCS got it right, but we still need a playoff system.

Now to the NFL. I could not have asked for a better Wild Card Weekend. Sure, the Sunday games weren't nearly as close as the Saturday games but the overall weekend was fantastic. Kudos to the Cardinals for proving that my gut feeling was right in picking them to beat the Falcons. If they continue to establish a running game and get pressure on the quarterback, they just might be able to get to the Super Bowl. Congrats to the Falcons for a wonderful season and turnaround. You don't win anything this year, but I wouldn't be worried if I was a Falcons fan right now. You are literally a few personnel moves (defensively) in building a team capable of a dynasty. Matt Ryan, Michael Turner and Roddy White can bring multiple titles to Atlanta in the next 10 years... The Chargers were my preseason pick for the AFC to get to the Super Bowl and they pulled out a victory in an instant classic against the Colts with Darren Sproles leading the way. I feel bad for Peyton Manning because he led the Colts to 9 straight wins for practically nothing. They have nothing to be ashamed of though. And as a fan of the game, although I do understand his situation, I really really hope that Tony Dungy comes back to coach next year... The Ravens defense is back! I could be wrong but I seriously think that this defense might be as good and possibly better than the 2000 defense. Their numbers are up and their rush defense is absolutely relentless. Ed Reed is the greatest defensive player maker of all time. Period. No questions asked. When he gets the ball in his hands (which he does frequently), he becomes Devin Hester in his rookie year. Kudos to Miami though on their turnaround. Their team is not set up as nicely as Atlanta, but they will be competitive for the long haul. And finally my NFC pick for the Super Bowl, the Philadelphia Eagles. While McNabb and Westbrook did not impress very much (because they usually play a lot better than they did on Sunday), I think this team might actually have a chance in making my pick look right. However, logically, I don't think they get past the Giants.

I know I was going to talk about Big L, but there's not much to be said about him, other than he's the greatest freestyle rapper of all time. I enjoy Supernatural's abilities a little more because he can keep it clean and he can rap for 9 hours straight (no joke he holds the world record), but NO ONE could ever beat Big L in a battle. Not 2pac, not Biggie, Jay-Z, Nas or ANYBODY. Check out some of his stuff if you are a fan of rap and hip hop because he has some of the greatest one-liners ever and he's one of the best storytellers I've ever heard. He may be the most underrated rapper of all time. Clearly one of the best ever.

Now on to my personal problem. Now, a lot of you know that I love to gamble. It has been an addiction for years and I never once realized how terrible of an addiction it is...until now. I lost a lot of money this weekend on online gambling and I can't believe it took nearly $5,000 over the course of 3 years to make me realize how stupid I was. For a person who hasn't worked in 3 years, that is incredibly ridiculous. You might say I'm stupid and I would agree with you, but gambling is a drug to me, it's like your cigarette or your XBOX 360 or your chocolate - I can't get enough. Gambling has nearly ruined the past 3 years of my life and nobody has known until now. While I do pretty well in sports betting, table games like Blackjack and 3 Card Poker and Baccarat are really not worth it anymore. I haven't decided to give up gambling all together because I actually do have some skill in games like Texas Hold 'Em and other poker games like Omaha and 7 Card Stud and I am a decent NFL bettor. I've vowed this weekend to get my act together and be a lot smarter with my money, and while I've realized that I can't give up gambling all together, I have realized that I have a problem and I'm doing my best to resolve it. And while accepting that I have a problem is the hardest part, I feel like I'm on my way to finally breaking through this unfortunate situation.

That's all for now, thanks for reading and stay tuned for more stuff! By the way, if you have a problem of any kind, talk to me about it. I'm here for you, no matter who you are. I'm an excellent listener and I promise I won't bite =)

No comments: