Wednesday, December 31, 2008

2008: A Year in Review

Hey guys, I apologize for the 4 day break between my last posts, but I've been really busy lately as I have been writing a lot of new movies which you shall see soon. Anyway, it is 2:30 AM and there is 21 hours and 30 minutes left in 2008. My initial reaction is WOW. Every year seems to be passing by faster than the last and it's really making me realize how special and unique life is, and should never be taken for granted. Off the top of my head, I'll be talking about sports, politics and entertainment events that occurred this year and I'll also tell you what I've learned and gone through this year.

Starting with politics; what a political year it was. This year was full of political drama, struggle and most of all, controversy. If you're wondering, I did not vote this year, and if you know me, you know my reasons, and if you don't, I don't vote simply because there is no way you can tell me that the electoral college is democratic. Anyway, congratulations to Obama, if I had voted, I would have voted for him and I am happy we finally have a "minority" in the oval office. Kudos to John McCain for his effort, and good riddance to Sarah Palin because she has no place in politics. Then of course came the drama of Prop 8 here in California in which the banning of same-sex marriages became legal. I actually lost a friend arguing over this mess, simply because she was Christian but refused to acknowledge my point of view while she had no logic to her own arguments - good riddance to her as well. As it stands now, there will be a hearing in January to open up Prop 8 again, and I hope that Californians (and Americans for that matter) will finally put an end to formal discrimination and vote NO on Prop 8 when it is re-opened.

Moving on to entertainment; there were quite a few impressive musicians that stood out to me in 2008. Number one of course is Lil' Wayne who sold 1 million copies in his first week with "Tha Carter III" and congratulations to him for taking over rap genre. Another impressive artist is Rihanna who had several number one hits and came out with just overall good music. Many kudos to Leona Lewis for breaking ground here in America and starting her journey to world-wide superstardom - a status well deserved. I was very surprised with how Katy Perry was able to win over a lot of people, but then again, she has a great, unique voice who has a bright future.

Moving on to other music news, what the hell was up with Kanye West this year? Seriously, I don't care. Kanye is a fucking moron who has no place in music except behind the scenes as a producer because that is the only good thing he does. He is a terrible singer who now uses the T-Pain electronic voice profusely, and he (and everyone for that matter) needs to stop with that bullshit. If you can't sing or perform your song live, don't record it at all. Pointless is the only word to describe it. If you think Kanye is a good rapper/writer, you are TERRIBLY mistaken my friend. I can write better lyrics than Kanye West and I put that on my family. Enough of this garbage who calls himself an artist. Listen to Murs or even some old Notorious BIG because they ARE hip hop.

Moving on to movies, I'm going to go ahead and point out the obvious and say that "The Dark Knight" was the most successful movie of the year. I don't normally support Oscar consideration for superhero adventure films to be Best Picture, but if this film doesn't win Best Picture, I will be devastated. There isn't a single movie that was made that was better than this movie in 2008, besides Milk, which I unfortunately have not seen all of. Best comedy goes to "Pineapple Express" and sleeper of the year for title of "a pretty damn good film" is "Gran Torino," "Burn After Reading," and even "Tropic Thunder."

Now on to a very interesting sports year. What an incredible year it was. It all started with the college football national championship where LSU defeated Ohio State. Then it was, to me, the most improbable Super Bowl win in the history of the NFL aside from Joe Namath's guarantee; the Giants send the 18-0 Patriots into the history books (not the way the Patriots pictured) and making them the only perfect team to not win the Super Bowl. This was the biggest sports moment of the year for me...Then there were the drama of the NBA Playoffs where the Lakers and the Celtics both reached prominence once again in meeting each other in the Finals, with the Celtics winning it all...The Red Wings also won the Stanley Cup and proved why they are quite possibly the most prestigious hockey team in the league...Then came the Olympics. This was the year where I was most interested in the Olympics and never did I tune in to be disappointed. The USA Basketball team did not disappoint as they finally won the Gold once again, Men's Gymnastics was something I was very proud of because we were not supposed to finish anywhere near 3rd place, Women's Gymnastics were very entertaining and fun to watch (it's okay Alicia Sacramone) and most of all and most importantly, Michael Phelps, with the weight of the world on his shoulders, shined on the world's biggest stage. Congrats to all who competed...Then came the World Series and the NFL Regular Season and what an interesting season it was (in both sports). The most impressive baseball team of the year was easily the Tampa Bay Rays and many kudos to the Phillies for winning it all. This NFL season was incredible and the single most significant season ending injury in this decade set the tone for a wild season. If you don't know what I'm talking about, I'm talking bout Tom Brady. Without Tom Brady, the Patriots missed the playoffs simply because they would have either taken the 1 or 2 seed in the AFC, but instead they went 11-5 and missed the playoffs with the incredibly impressive Matt Cassel at quarterback, who should be a starting quarterback and a future star in this league. Then there was the Cowboys. Going back to January, they were supposed to have a rematch with the Patriots in the Super Bowl after losing to them in the regular season, and they fell at home to the mighty Giants. Then they lose nearly all of their games after Thanksgiving and STILL have a chance to make the playoffs in Week 17 and they lose - no check that, they get EMBARRASSED by the Eagles, 44-6. What a waste of money for Jerry Jones. He had it coming. It makes me laugh to see how terrible things have gotten in Dallas. You try to be the Yankees of the NFL and you have enough talent on your team to win Super Bowls for the next decade and you go 9-7 and miss the playoffs. Good riddance.

Anyway, I'm excited for the playoffs and my pre-season Super Bowl picks, the San Diego Chargers and the Philadelphia Eagles are still alive! My friend picked the Vikings and the Steelers and our NFC teams square off on Sunday, so we shall see who will be right come February.

Now on to what I went through this year. Like most people, I suffered through tough times and it all started with my younger sister becoming a gang-affiliated, drug-doing whore. If you ever wonder how many siblings I have, I only have ONE. The other two "sisters" I have totally disowned. Second, and it seems like it happens every year, I come up short on money and my mom always has to get into money borrowing issues come payment time. I won't be working until probably the summer of 2009 because I am close to graduating and I want to focus on college, but that time can't come soon enough. I also realized that I might actually be out of my fucking mind, and I don't mind that, it's just that I lose it at the most random times. If you know me, I'm a nice guy and I do my best to entertain you when I am in your presence.

Now I get to look at all of the mistakes I made this year. One was not pulling the trigger on the girl in my astronomy class this past spring. I saw her again this fall and she looks better than ever. Stupid me. Then came Bethany Nguyen. Ahh, yes. Good old Bee. I thought I might actually have had a chance because she led me on, but the whore had a boyfriend all along as I questioned her about long before I started talking to her. If anything, I learned that whores can't be trusted and there is ALWAYS better out there. Anyway, she has no future because she has no motivation and ambition and good riddance to her.

Even though there were tough times this year, there were also very good times. Many parties and get togethers made this year very interesting. I maintained a 3.7 GPA throughout the year and I made it through a 21 unit semester with a 3.7 GPA. I've become even more mature than I have ever been and I lost a total of 25 pounds since January 1, 2008. I've grown so much as a director and screenwriter that I actually feel like I might be able to make an immediate impact in Hollywood. My acting has improved and it will be significantly better in 2009 as it will be my main objective. I learned to appreciate the wonderful family and friends that I have and even though I truly hate all of them, I would do anything for them. I made several new friends and none more significant than my favorite Tabachoi. It was actually a good thing that I pursued her this year, because I probably would have never ended up being friends with her. She ended up getting with one of my good friends, so it all worked out. Besides, we could NEVER be together. She pisses me off way too much for me to put up with her. This year was filled with great decisions and mistakes as every year is filled with them, but may 2009 bring me (and you) great decisions and fortunes and a whole lot less mistakes! HAPPY NEW YEAR!

No comments: