Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Thoughts on Rap

Hello there, for those of you who have read my first two posts, sorry for the delay for this one, but I've been really busy over the past few days, so I haven't been able to have time to post a new blog. Nevertheless, here's a couple of things about rap and if you are a football fan, don't forget to check out my blog below this one.

Rap. Ah, yes. One of the most popular, if not the most popular music genre among people in the 18-34 range. Now for those of you who know me, you would know that I really REALLY do not like mainstream rap - or top 40 music in general for that matter. But, as I imagine that most of us go through it at least once if not a few times a week, I got tired of listening to the CD's in my car, so I decided to listen to the radio one day. Man. It was terrible. I tuned into WILD 94.9 and my ears were blessed with the sound of the rapper known as Plies (of course I'm being sarcastic here).

The song was called "Bust It Baby Pt. 2" and it featured R&B sensation Ne-Yo (whom I actually think is a talented artist by the way), and the very first line that Plies had in the song absolutely threw me off of my focus of trying to drive safely (not that I ever have to focus to drive of course (= ), and I actually couldn't believe what he said. This line alone led to me to a realization of how terrible rappers are nowadays. Anyways, this is what he said: "if I wasn't married to the streets, it'll be you//your lips, what make you so cute." Wow. Seriously? Is this what rap has come to? You have to got to be kidding me. First of all, with his rapping style that sounds like he's moaning, he doesn't have the right to claim anything to the streets. Okay, so let me get this straight; you're not going to pursue a woman you like because you are married to an inanimate object (street)? How much sense does that make? Even more so, how is the next line of your song going to be "your lips, what make you so cute?"

Okay, back to my point here. Rap is terrible. Don't you ever call Plies, 50 Cent, Rick Ross or Soulja Boy "hip-hop artists." It is a slap in the face of the legends that created not only an incredible genre of music, but a lifestyle as well. There is no room in hip-hop for terrible rappers like Plies and Rick Ross and there is sure as hell no room in hip-hop for gangsters who think they are tough because they can't fight a man by themselves, so they have to carry a handgun to make themselves feel good. This is what rap is for. A hip-hop wannabe, whose lifestyle and prestige will never come close to what hip-hop stands for.

No comments: